Monday, April 21, 2008

a rose by any other name

i have been talking about changing my last name for a while now. it will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later, but because i needed a passport in a hurry, i couldn't go through the procedure. so after i get back to the country, i will work on changing my last name....to 'rock'.

rock is one of my favorite words. it can mean so many different things: to be rocked, either by person or chair, is quite soothing. someone can be your rock in times of trouble, or one can be 'solid as a...'. and then there is this 'rock music' i've heard so much about.

i have no illusions that things will be different after my name is changed. i currently have no connection to my last name, so i simply wanted something i could be happy with. someone suggested that i have a big party and register myself at a store somewhere, just as someone who was getting married (and probably changing their last name....get it?) would do. seems like a good idea. any time there are presents to me are involved, i've been pretty o.k. with it.

i have been celebrating a little too often as of late. i wrecked my liver and pulled a muscle in my back last week by "celebrating" a bit too enthusiastically. "i found someone to sublet my place, let's celebrate!", "i got my passport, let's celebrate!", "i am entirely too broke and kinda hungover, let's do this!". no more. the jubilation will remain, but going out for drinks and/or karaoke for every small accomplishment. that's just ridiculous. that being said, though, i will for sure be having a send off before i shove off for thailand....be prepared.

1 comment:

ali said...

You can use whatever name you want - even if it's not on your passport...

If you wanna rock...ROCK!

Wait, I think you already do.