Sunday, April 13, 2008

i'll get you my pretty....and your little dog too!

i saw wicked today at the pantages theater in hollywood. i went with my friend bindi, who is 6.

i am a dork. i knew all the words to this musical before even seeing it. this is largely in part to my friend emily berry, (strawberry festival queen '03) who gave me the soundtrack to the show years ago. i read the book, which was WAY darker than the musical (more death, more deformity, more gender ambiguity). but i gotta tell ya-this is a good effin show. in order to not embarrass bindi, i had to make sure i a) did not sing along and b) did not start crying. i am the kind of person who is easily moved by big ass musical numbers, even if they're singing about something as lame as...oz. clearly, i have issues. big ass musical issues.

as my friend molly pointed out-what a great show to bring a young lady to. there are two strong female leads and the moral is to be yourself. bindi was perplexed that the wicked witch (elphaba) was "actually kinda nice" and that the good witch (glinda) was "very silly", or in my words "a pain in the ass". but you end up loving everyone in the end. plus, laugh-in's joanne whorley is in the cast...who could ask for anything more?

on another topic-jesus h. it's hotter than georgia asphalt in l.a.! just in time for me to realize the a/c in my car no longer works. my mechanic is right: i should really find a husband to help me out with all this car madness.


2 comments:

Beth Gelsomino said...

you are such a rockstar...i adore you...

ali said...

i cried at wicked. i too get weapy over big musical numbers and cool choreography.