Saturday, August 2, 2008

the echo park paddle boat regatta!

go ahead and say it, 'cause we all thinking it: slacker.

i know i am supposed to finish my thailand adventures, and trust me, the memories live vividly in my brain and they will eventually come out of there. i have been in the midst of writing several other pieces, mostly to be performed in front of a (captive) audience. so. this is just a break from thailand travels to ask you, and anyone you may know, for money.

i will be participating in a paddle boat regatta (that means "race" to you laymen) to raise money and awareness for an organization i have the pleasure of working for, 826LA. the time travel mart in echo park is the storefront for this non-profit, where i have been volunteering since december and working since april or so. 826 provides free drop in tutoring for children ages 6-18, as well as many programs geared toward helping these kids how to express themselves creatively, mainly through writing. a lot of funding has been cut from public schools, and we all know the first programs to go-the arts. 826 provides supplemental learning for the children affected by these cuts. please check out the website 826la.org for more information and to learn how to volunteer.

how can you help me? glad you asked. go to this link and make a tax deductible donation to sponsor me. all money i raise goes straight to 826LA, and gets me a closer to the finish line. seriously, even a buck helps. the name of my team: sparkle motion.


i also need the most spectacular cheering section at the regatta, but this is mostly due to my need for people yelling my name and generally praising me. so i hope you can make it out to the regatta, at echo park lake on august 17th at 4pm, to be followed by a concert at the echo.

contact me with any questions! much love!

No comments: