Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 1 caye caulker

after a harrowing MARTA ride in which i thought i would miss my flight, I finally found myself on a plane toward Belize. I picked a cloud, as we descended through the cover, to place my worries on, and waved goodbye as we landed.

the cab driver took me through Belize city, where schoolchildren filled the streets. they were on their lunch break, all in matching uniforms.

the water taxi took half an hour to get to caye caulker. there is something surreal about blasting 'sympathy for the devil' while bouncing through unknown waters.

i arrived on the island and was greeted by a man who, for some reason, was singing Christmas carols. i joined him in a rendition of 'chestnuts roasting on an open fire' before he pointed me in the direction of a hostel. Tina's Hostel. then a nap in the hammock.

now: dinner with hostel mates! fresh lobster, perhaps....
wish you were here.

2 comments:

WiccaMel said...

Hey sweetie! Can't wait to read more.
Be careful in those hostels LOL

Gina said...

LOVE IT! Stay safe out there, red. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in the great big world!!! Sending you much love.